Thursday, June 13, 2013

Crockpot Enchiladas

I have recently discovered my crockpot as my newest cooking tool.

Who needs an oven?

Not me.

I don’t have time for it, and it just heats up my little house.

So I have converted a whole bunch of my family favorites to be made in the crockpot.

This little recipe is simple and can be made in a skillet on the stove top.  As it is called skillet enchiladas.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0035_zpsb3485cf0.jpg

However, I decided to give it a go in my crockpot, and they turned out great.

What you need:

1# ground beef

1/4 C. chopped onion or minced onion

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can mild or medium enchilada sauce

1/2 cup milk

one can chopped green chilies

18 corn tortillas

pam cooking spray

2 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese (I used mozzarella and Mexican blend, because that is what I had.  I would also say that I used more then 2 1/2 C.)

Sour cream

The reason for the use of my crockpot is that I like to get things done in the morning so that I have less to do during that crazy afternoon time when kids are getting home from school.  This is also the time we seem to be running to all things kids.  You know everything they are involved in.  Oh, and I do throw a little Zumba in here too.  I guess I do add to the crazy.

I started this recipe in the morning.

I started by browning my hamburger with the chopped onion.  I often keep it simple and just add minced onion.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0001_zpsa2b0ed73.jpg

When I am finished with my meats, I always rinse them in hot water.  This rinses off all the fat and grease.  Some say it looses it flavor, I say it looses some calories.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0003_zps8dfce3db.jpg

Next up, add that to your crockpot with: soup, enchilada sauce, green chilies, and milk.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0011_zps58495e7c.jpg

Give it a good stir and put it on low for the day.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0012_zps6f2522bd.jpg

See, I had this all done by 8:51 a.m. (kitchen cleaned and everything)  There is still more steps to this recipe, but to be finished later in the day.

Around 3 in the after noon, I finished this little recipe up.

I started by spraying a cookie sheet with cooking spray and laying down 6 tortillas.  Then I sprayed some more spray and added another layer, and one more layer spraying the top of that layer.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0021_zpsc0b10a88.jpg

Then I put them in my oven on 200 for about 6-8 minutes.  Just long enough to soften them.  This allows you to roll up the tortillas without them cracking(corn tortillas like to crack)(oh, and don’t look at my yucky oven.  It is old)

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0022_zpsc313c697.jpg

My original recipe suggests dipping them in hot oil to roll them.  That makes me want to gag.  My tortilla drenched in oil… yeah that sounds good for you.

So this is the method I came up with, and though you are spraying them with a little cooking spray that seemed less crazy then drenching them in oil.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0023_zpsab701002.jpg 

Next pull the tortillas out and add a layer of cheese in the middle and roll it up.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0024_zps06cedaf1.jpg

Add it to the crockpot,

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0025_zps4bc634b2.jpg 

and push it down in the meat mixture.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0026_zps9181b525.jpg

Continue to do this until you have a layer of enchiladas.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0028_zps9f3864de.jpg 

Cover that with cheese.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0029_zps4a6d274e.jpg

Repeat this process and make another layer.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0030_zpse6569877.jpg

  Cover that layer with cheese.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0031_zpse5cd9820.jpg

Once you have all your enchiladas in the mixture, cover them and put it on your keep warm setting. (ok and also embarrassing is my yucky crockpot.  It is getting a lot of use)

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0032_zps7882f64a.jpg

We went to piano lessons this night and didn’t get home until 6:30.  They were perfect when we got home.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0033_zps3b0f3b9a.jpg

They tasted just as good as they do in a skillet.  The problem for me with the skillet is that we were at piano and I didn’t have time to make them, so my crockpot did it for me. 

Thanks crock pot.

Top with sour cream.

 photo CrockpotEnchiladas-0035_zpsb3485cf0.jpg

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

KW said...

I might have to try these in the crockpot and also the cooking spray idea. I tried not cooking them in the oil and it just wasn't the same.

Unknown said...

Oh these look delish! I'm with you about using the crock pot. I hate turning my oven on in 110 degree heat!

amanda said...

O, please share more crock pot recipes! I am so excited to give mine more use because our evenings are crazy as well. Thank you!

amanda said...

O, please share more crock pot recipes! I am so excited to give mine more use because our evenings are crazy as well. Thank you!

Darlene said...

These look delicious, Andrea! I'm putting them on my grocery list!

Related Posts with Thumbnails